April 30, 2014

Rainy Days and Popcorn Lunches


It's quite dark inside my office right now, and as I look out the window behind me at the rain falling on the drop-off lane pavement, I'm thankful for the rain boots on my feet and a tiny heater below my desk that keeps it cozy in here (shhhh...don't tell the fire marshal on me, please). I'm in a perpetual state of being cold, so I'm always appreciative of anything that helps keep me warm. I'm also eating popcorn for lunch, which is a sure sign that somebody needs to go grocery shopping.

For some, rainy days are the gloomiest of days. I happen to love them. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my mom loves them, too. When I was in elementary school, I remember she would get so much joy out of picking my brother and I up in the afternoons on rainy days and announce that we were going to get a snack at a drive-through (a rare treat for my otherwise health-conscious mother) and then drive around in the rain before heading to the library. I still love driving in the rain to this day! Weird? Perhaps, but I'm a fan of weird little quirks that make people a little more interesting. By all means, share yours with me and I might love you even more!


It's been a slow week here in my counseling office at the high school where I work. There are two counselors off-campus this week at a training, so the hallway is a bit more quiet and there's a smaller flow of student traffic. Then again, that is also pretty normal for this time during the school year. The semester is slowly starting to dwindle, and summer is close enough that you can feel it when you walk outside and the sun hits you on the shoulders. The academically driven students are getting ready for AP exams and the slackers are still slacking.  The parents are calling parent-teacher conferences to see if there is any small chance of their failing-all-classes-including-weight-training student succeeding this year. The teachers tend to give out wider smiles than normal, knowing that their freedom is just around the corner.   

I've always been observant and reflective in nature, so it's no surprise to me that writing is therapeutic and that I tend to do it when I actually have the time to observe and reflect. Sitting here in my comfortable office, alone (at the moment), I can't help but be thankful for this job. There are days when I don't feel quite as thankful and my first tendency is to complain, but I want to write this down so that I can pause and thank the Lord for an opportunity to be here, at this school with my assigned students, and that I have a small window of time to eat popcorn for lunch and type out my thoughts with a heater at my feet. It is here that I'm reminding myself of the verse in the Bible that says to, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances..." 


I'm also thankful that I had the presence of mind this rainy morning to put on my rain boots and forego the hair straightener, since it's entirely futile when one has wavy hair. 

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Umm. popcorn is my favorite snack and I very frequently have popcorn and diet coke for dinner. no shame. enjoy your day!

Kathryn said...

I thought the same thing when I saw your heater on instagram! Ha! Yesterday was the first time in a while when I didn't wear my rain boots, and I always regret it. They're staying on for now. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for my job that I'm not so jazzed about right now! Can't wait for summer!

Post a Comment

I am so delighted to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by :)